Monday, March 17, 2014

Nurses No.9, home

      Recently found out that Nurses No.9 residence was located upstairs in the BISCO Administration building, this would have been sometime after 1936, when the building was tranferred over the the Homes for the Aged. The bottom floor was used as administration for the Homes for the Aged, until Valleyview was completed in 1959, when they moved the offices into the new building. Unknown when the nurses stopped living there.
Another example of the diverse uses to which the buildings were put at Riverview, as a need arose, the hospital could quickly adapt a building to a new use.

Boys Industrial School of Coquitlam, Administration building / Nurses No.9 / Valleyview Lodge
More information about the Nurses quarters at Riverview/ Essondale at this BLOG

This building was used for geriatric care after 1959 until it was closed in 1991, its last use being as a "Tea Room" located in the far left on the ground floor in this photo.

  Thanks to Anna Tremere, for searching her notes to find out where Nurses No.9 was, it was the only location I could not find mention of.

Sunday, September 15, 2013

Panoramio pictures

Some Panoramio pictures:
(ONE) Valleyview and BISCO Administration
(TWO) Valleyview
(THREE) Valleyview and Cottage 1 on the right
(FOUR) Cottage 2
(FIVE) BISCO Administration
(SIX) BISCO Administration

BISCO is the Boys Industrial School of Coquitlam, the English tudor-style cottages were originally built for them, but in the 1950's they were moved to Brannan Lake on Vancouver Island, but prior to this in 1936 the Cottage style buildings were transferred over to the Homes for the Age, and the boys were moved into a much smaller area on the grounds.

Thursday, September 27, 2007

Valleyview 300

            Opening ceremonies   May 22,1959

                        Nearing completion in 1959

This building was always dedicated to the senior population; and through the years various students studied and created numerous reports, usually as part of their social science degrees.
   From custodial care to rehabilitation : the changing philosophy at Valleyview Hospital

Units 5,6 & 8

Unit 8: Is not used for Hospital use anymore. But the Police and Fire departments, use it for honing their skills.

Unit 6: Tri-Cities Home Health
#6-2601 Lougheed Hwy., Coquitlam, BC V3C 4J2
Phone: 604-777-7300 Fax: 604-777-7302
Home and Community Care Nursing

Unit 5: Is used by WSI, who maintain the Riverview property and other properties, for the Province.
Vancouver Lower Mainland BLJC WSI
2601 Lougheed Hwy., Coquitlam, BC. V3C 4J2
Phone: 604-927-4008

The beginning

Valleyview Hospital

( from the 1959-60 annual report)
The past twelve months have been eventful ones at this unit of the Geriatric Division, with major advances in services and provision of staff and facilities for the care of the many elderly men and women at Valleyview.

These welcome changes include the opening and occupation of the Valleyview Building, the expansion in staff, particularly nursing, and the reorganization of the general administration of the unit as an independent hospital within the Mental Health Services.

The most outstanding event was the official opening of the Valleyview Building and auditorium by the Honourable Wesley Black, Provincial Secretary, on May 22nd, 1960. The impressive ceremonies were conducted by the Honourable Eric Martin, Minister of Health Services and Hospital Insurance, and were followed by an " open house," during which many distinguished visitors and a large number of the interested public toured the new buildings and viewed the new services and wards, which have been gradually placed into operation during the year.

The new diagnostic and treatment services thus provided have greatly enhanced the nursing and medical care for the patients in this area, as well as providing relief to the overtaxed departments at the Crease Clinic and Provincial Mental Hospital, which have previously provided these services to the patients at Valleyview Hospital.

The six new wards, with 328 new beds, have been gradually occupied as new nursing staff became available, making it possible to increase the total accommodation for aged patients, as well as providing an opportunity to remove patients from two of the older buildings which were severely overcrowded and in need of renovation.
At the end of the year all departments in the new building, except the dental area, were in full operation, and the four infirmaries were occupied by patients transferred from the old infirmaries and with new patients from the community. Opened for business on September 15, 1959.

A major administrative change occurred on April 20th, 1959, when the nursing department began operating independently from the nursing department at Essondale, under the direction of Miss E. Johnstone.

This policy of unitization of the Port Coquitlam unit has progressed during the year. The name given to the new building was officially accepted as the most appropriate name for this area on January 1st, 1960, when the Home for the Aged Act was removed from the Statutes.

In 2007, this building was being rapidly downsized.